Monday, July 13, 2009

Green Thumb

There are a few things you should know about me before you read this post:

1. I do not have a green thumb. At all. I kill plants (especially tomatoes). Of course this is not on purpose. I start with the best of intentions and then something happens. It could be something as unintentional as I forget to water a houseplant or it could be something as lazy as it is just simply too hot outside to go water my container plants outside after a long and grueling day at work when it is 100* out.

2. I really WANT to grow things. My mother had a garden when when I was a tween and I loved it. I didn't touch it but I loved looking at it. I have fond memories of my mother in the backyard tending to it. I later learned that the garden was her therapy during a rough and nasty divorce.

On to the post...

Sugarbee traded some fiber for an Aerogarden. I was jealous. Very jealous. The infomercials made it seem like this machine was magic - but it was WAY out of my price range. She had little luck with growing and I asked if I could borrow it. I wanted to try a few runs before I purchased it from her.

My first run was tomatoes. They grew (but not as magically as I had expected). The handbook indicated that supports were needed but I pooh-poohed this idea, thinking I could manufacture/rig up something myself. It turns out that supports are indeed needed and the ones offered by Aerogarden might just be the right ticket.

My second run is lettuce. As you can see, this is amazing. It grows and grows and grows. It sprouted after 2 days which made me squeal with delight. I think this foray into lettuce seals the deal - I need to buy this thing from Sugarbee. That is if the offer still stands.

ON THE NEEDLES: Starteritis and the Hanami...
ON THE BOOKSHELF: Ice Cold Grave by Harris
ON THE iPOD: Weekly playlist (playlist of all new podcasts this week)
ON THE TABLE: Pulled pork (which was purchased for $5 for the hunk of meat!!!!)

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of fresh veggies and picking them. I, however, don't really enjoy all the work that goes into growing said veggies. Your lettuce looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never heard of Aerogardens but that is so smart. Especially tempting for winter - maybe herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem with growing things, which is a pity, because I really love beautiful and productive gardens! I hope the offer stands -- those lettuces look yummy :)

    ReplyDelete