Monday, August 31, 2009

Timing....

I will never be a comedian. My timing sucks.

We are in the midst of the summer here in Florida and I am working on "winter" items such as sweaters and mittens.

I never thought I would be knitting sweaters for myself - for a variety of reasons. These reasons include the fact that I am always hot. It seemed to be a lesson in futility to knit a garment I might only wear half a dozen times a year. Then I was bitten by a bug to knit a sweater for myself.

More designers are creating sweaters to fit a larger range of sizes. More interesting sweaters are showing up in magazines, books, and websites that catch my magpie's eye. I guess it was inevitable.

Back to the timing issue....

I have just completed the Chevron Lace Cardigan by Milobo. I crocheted this garment in "Spa" from Naturally Caron. The drape and softness of this yarn is what I was looking for when I started the project. Although it is short sleeved, it will be a winter garment because there will be several layers of clothing and that makes me hot.

Secondly, I am working on the Give a Hoot mittens. It gets cold downtown while waiting for the bus so mittens seem to be a good idea. My eldest, Grace, wants a pair - without thumbs though - so she can control her iPod.

Thirdly, I am working on a top down raglan using a mix of two worsted weight yarns in my stash. I didn't have enough for a sweater's worth of yarn so I combined the two to give me the yardage. Again, I thought it was insane to buy a sweater's worth of yarn but now I get it. I have been converted.

ON THE NEEDLES: See above!
ON THE BOOKSHELF: An Ice Cold Grave by Harris
ON THE iPOD: Lion Brand's podcast
ON THE TABLE: Spaghetti with meat sauce

3 comments:

  1. I think I might make a sweater for myself this year too. I get more cold inside my building at work than I generally do outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some good knitting you've got going there! I've got a sweater OTN right now that I'm not sure I'll get to wear much, but I just felt compelled to knit it. I guess I'll have to find reasons to go to cold places as often as possible...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean! I'm busily knitting two sweaters for myself, during the hottest season of the year (it's in the 100s these days, and fire season has begun). I'm going to believe I'll get to wear them later, though :)

    ReplyDelete