Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I am just so excited about this book.

I came across Hansi Singh's patterns earlier this year and wanted to work them all. Of course, I was late to the party - she has been designing for a few years (at least) and if the hundreds of projects on Ravelry are any indication, there are already many partygoers. The past two years has seen a broadening of her patterns and their intricacy. Patterns like Jackalope and Chameleon are showcases for her current designing focus.

Last week I almost purchased 3 different patterns off her Etsy site but had not gotten around to it. When I saw the book in the bookstore, I squealed like a girl and promptly put it in my pile of books. A post on the pile of books is in order but that will come later.

Baby Daddy took me to Joann's the next day and I picked up a handful of acryliques (Vanna's Choice, Serenity/Debrorah Norville and Caron's Country). The palette above shows my color choices - purples, blues, greens and a pink. The patterns called for very small amounts of fiber so this batch of yarn should get me through a number of the projects.

One of the most significant things about Singh's patterns are the crisp and detailed stitches she employs. The stitches themselves are not intricate - they are primarily decreases - but the strategic placement actually lends elements of shadow, depth and lot of realism. A well planned decrease on a jackalope's snout or the mantis's eyes makes all the difference in the world.

The first project I want to knit is the Mantis. This particular photo is from Hansigurumi Etsy shop and not the book. I will be using green for the body and either light blue or pink for the eyes and underside detailing.

(Photo credit belongs 110% to Hansi Singh and her Etsy shop)

A really great article featuring Singh can be found HERE on the Craftzine blog. A clearing house of all her projects (with attendant finished objects and works in progress) can be found HERE on Ravelry. The details in Singh's designs are so well wrought that many different fibers and colors have been used and each project is truly an individual in and of itself.

I am just so excited!!

ON THE NEEDLES: Betty Bangs and Hanami
ON THE BOOKSHELF: Knit Amigurumi and The Graveyard Book by Gaiman
ON THE iPOD: Daughter of the Sun (a free podiobook)
ON THE TABLE: Crockpot Italian Chicken

2 comments:

  1. What a great find! I can see why you've got the mantis first on your list -- it looks fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea she had a book out, interesting. I can't wait to see all your creations.

    ReplyDelete