Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Happy Got Lucky!

Happy Got Lucky - Sock Club Yarn from the Politically Incorrect line by Sugarbee Studios. 440 yards of wooly goodness. Would you look at those colors!!

I don't do yellow in general. I look sickly in yellow. This is sock yarn, though, so my feet will be far from my face (with any luck) and it will all work out awesomely! Although I have a ton of older sock yarn, I am going to cast something on with this as soon as possible.

I have been perusing my Ravelry favorites for a sock pattern that would compliment this yarn and its colors. Options thus far (all free!):

Circle Socks by Anne Campbell (link is for PDF of pattern)


Sunrise Chevron Socks by Carol Sulcowski


Ampersand by Kirsten Kapur (link is for PDF of pattern)


Vortical by Phoenix Bess


My first choice is Ampersand and my second choice is the Sunrise Chevron Socks. Before I make my final decision, I am going to pull out my copies of the new (relatively) Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarns by Carol Sulcowski and Sock Innovation by Cookie A.

The first time I knit with this sock base from Sugarbee I was not sure how I was going to like it. I had only used superwash wool sock base up to that point. After the first few rows, I fell in love with the "new" base. There is a sheen to this yarn when you knit it up, no matter what pattern you are using. The stitch definition is just perfect. And, to make matters even better, the sock softens up even more after the first wash! I am now a true fan of Sugarbee's choice of base yarn.

Sugarbee is taking the summer off from all things fibery and who can blame her. Who wants to dye and card fiber when it is 100 degrees out. The fiber clubs will be back in the fall. I cannot wait to see what she comes up with next!

ON THE NEEDLES: Clapotis and Hanami
ON THE BOOKSHELF: The Graveyard Book by Gaiman
ON THE iPOD: NPR - The Manic Purl podcast
ON THE TABLE: Turkey salad on homemade Wheaty Rolls

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. Those are some gorgeous colors -- they just scream summer! I keep thinking of picking up The Graveyard Book myself -- you'll have to let us know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete